Friday, July 25, 2008

The Shack

William Young, author of "The Shack", was in Orlando at the Christian Retailers Convention that I attended this last week. After hearing a bit about the book from newly made friends, I found myself in a conference room watching and listening to the author as he told the story of how this book came to be.

I was immediately drawn in by my own curiosity. It held the title of "NY Times Best Seller", and enticed me with the question, "Who is God, really?".

Hmm, I know the answer to that question...at least I thought I did.

Having just read the last page of this masterpiece, I admit that a new found understanding of Him has been revealed. Almost like a new layer has been peeled back and exposed for my pleasure.

I can see why this book has been a best seller. It breaks and rebuilds the reader. It shatters stereotypes and predetermined ideas and replaces them with character traits that are more in sync with what is written in black and red. Truth be told, reading this book was like drinking from a fire hydrant. I will certainly be revisiting this story again and again.

What a phenomenal gift that God has given to us through William Young. Knowing that it will eventually make it's way to the silver screen has me waiting in anticipation.

Bravo, William Young! And thank you.

Chapter one can be read beginning here.

No comments: